Sunday, February 9, 2014

Valentine's Advice to Action

So on what will probably be the hardest week for SINGLE people who have a great desire to find the love of their life. I'd like to offer some encouragement.  As a single woman I've received a lot of advice from old, married, divorced, and a little group I'd like to call "the eternally singles".  I am most partial to people over 70 who have lived long enough to give advice of any kind.

THE ADVICE:

1) You have to love yourself before anyone else can.
2) Don't waste time (worrying & over-thinking); it's the greatest treasure you have-especially when you are single.
3) Love is unconditional; what conditions are you holding over someone's head?
4) Love comes in many forms~ Explore them: giving, encouragement, help, charity, etc.
5) Hear what people are saying; choose to listen or not. Your Love Story is your own.
6) Love is patient, kind....and the rest of 1st Corinthians 13:4-7.
And my favorite....
7) You are still young; Love will find you, keep your heart open, and love will find you.

I must admit, if no one else will, that the constant advice of others gets on my nerves.  But I admittedly want what many of these elderly people have; a peaceful mind and a love story of my own. I've come close. Most days I am A-Okay, but this week will be a doozy of emotions for me and others. The group I like to call "the eternally singles" will mock the holiday and repeat their chorus of "If' your happy and don't need a mate, clap your hands" while others drown their emotions in 80 proof concoctions, greasy takeout food, online shopping sprees, or cuddy buddy sex. As we have been "advised" our feelings are generated naturally by our thoughts, beliefs, and circumstances. It makes sense that one just cannot help but feel some type of way about their singleness. But one can help the choices they make. If I listen (and take action) to the simple advice above I can actually refocus my attention on love as it exists for me right now. Not what a commercial or even my mama says it should be at the ripe young age of 33.

THE ACTION:

1) I will tell myself I love myself in the mirror. A little weird but I'm alone so I can do what I want! :)
2) When I start to worry and overthink Valentine's day I will remind myself that it's 1 day out of many.
3) I'll rethink the conditions of my love and how I have been holding them over the head of the last good man in my life.
4) I will love my friends and colleagues this week by encouraging, helping, and cooking for them.
5) I will choose not to listen to what other people are saying about my love life. My ears will be full of music this week. I feel some Esperanza Spalding & Jill Scott on de replay.
6) I will read 1st Corinthians 13:4-7 as my bible study this week.
7) I will meditate on the fact that "I am still young; Love will find me, I will keep my heart open, and love will find me."

~Kiss the Sky~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment